Nobody likes garden pests, such as aphids and caterpillars, but luckily, there are some easy, effective ways these problems can be avoided--or, at least, minimized.
- Pull out any weak and vulnerable plants from your yard
- Fertilizing and annual aeration can help ensure healthy soil that won't host lots of pests and fungi
- Minimize insect habitats by cleaning out debris and weeds from neglected areas of your yard
- Interplant and rotate plants because pests are often plant-specific; interspersing plants with other varieties means pests are less likely to spread throughout the entire crop
- Keep foliage dry and use drip irrigation instead of more traditional watering methods